September 13, 2012

Fire Smoke Spreads Westward

Both satellite imagery and visible reports have shown something that is relatively unusual---smoke form eastern Washington fires spreading westward over western WA.  Here is a sequence of visible satellite images showing this, followed by a high res MODIS satellite image...really obvious:






 The strong easterly flow was seen in the winds measured by the Sand Point profiler over N. Seattle:


Among the reports was one from a glider pilot east of Lake Sammamish (Bruce Williams), who took an amazing picture from the air showing the smoke:








6 comments:

  1. Yep. It was definitely noticeable in the "pink" sunrise this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the GOES West image of the Cascade Creek fire yesterday, I thought Mount Adams had erupted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that post! in the San Juans yesterday you could hardly see the Olympics, and the daylight was visibly orange. I spent a lot of time on the web looking for fire reports from the Olympics or Vancouver Isl, but nothing that would explain it. I hoped you would, and you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creo que la imágen desde la cabina del piloto impresiona más que las de satélite.

    Un saludo desde España,
    Juanra

    Listado de Razas de Perros y Gatos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Down here in eastern Lewis County, day before yesterday (Wed.) the sky was a solid lemon yellow color. The light was very weird, ominous and creepy.

    Yesterday was a lot nicer. Blue skies and white clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: I'm at about the 600 foot level. Wednesday morning my neighbors further up the hill had a bit of frost!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure your comments are civil. Name calling and personal attacks are not appropriate.

Should I Let AI Write My Blogs?

I spend a lot of time thinking about and writing my blogs.   Could AI apps do the work for me?   Could any of you tell the difference? Well,...